This section explains the steps involved in obtaining a business management visa using the Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s Foreign Business Incentive Program.
1. Preparing a business plan in your home country
2. Apply to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for confirmation of start-up activity.
Not available by mail, the Applicant must bring.
People who can bring
- The applicant himself
- Employees of the Immigration Bureau of Japan
- Attorney at law or an authorized Gyosei shoshi (administrative scrivener, immigration lawyer)
3 . Interview between the applicant and Tokyo Metropolitan Government officials
An authorized Gyosei shoshi (immigration lawyer) is allowed to interview on behalf of the applicant.
4. Examination by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
After six months, your application will be assessed in terms of whether or not you are likely to be granted a business management visa.
- What type of business will you be conducting? Business.
- Where do we do business? Project area.
- Where do you want to open a business? Location.
- What kind of preparation and activities will you go through to start your business? Specific plans for the project’s launch.
- How much funding is required to start a business (start-up activities)? How do we get that funding? Start-up capital.
- Who will be on the company’s board, and what role will they play?
- What scale of the business will be conducted [Business Scale]
- Have you secured housing for the period until you start your business?
- Do you have enough money to live on [place of residence, living expenses]?
5. Response by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
About 2 weeks after application
Receive a Certificate of Confirmation of start-up Activities. The certificate is valid for 3 months, during which time you can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
6. Apply to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau for a Certificate of Eligibility for Business Management
Even if the Tokyo Metropolitan Government approves you, it does not necessarily mean that the Tokyo Immigration Bureau will also approve you.
You do not have to meet the following requirements for a business management visa at this point.
- Established company with a capital of more than $5 million
- Secure an office
7. Approval of the 6-month business management visa
8. Landing Japan and start-up 6 months activity
9. Receive confirmation from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government every two months on start-up activities during the six months.
10. Extension of the period of stay
The business management visa will expire in six months. You need to renew your visa period. You need to meet the following requirements.
- A company with a capital of 5 million yen or more has been established.
- Secure an office