Foreign nationals wishing to start up business in Japan need to obtain a “business manager” visa.There are two types of business management visas, a regular business management visa and a six-month business management visa.We will see the application process for a six-month business management visa here.(How does a six-month management visa differ from regular business management? Please see here.)
1. Preparing a plan for business startup activities
A business plan is the essence of this program. The submitted business plan and other documents are assessed from the perspective of whether you have a high likelihood of fulfilling the conditions for a regular business manager visa after the six-month preparation period. The business plan should describe plans that are feasible and supported by a certain level of evidence.
2. Required documents
The following documents are to be prepared in Japanese.
– Application form
– Plan for business startup activities
– Applicant’s resume
– Copy of applicant’s passport (section with photo, name, and signature)
– Document that can clarify where the applicant will be residing for 6 months after coming to Japan (e.g., copy of lease contract, copy of the application for lease)
– copy of bank book which shows that you have more than JPY 5 million to invest in Japan.
3. Interview between the applicant and Tokyo Metropolitan Government officials
After the Tokyo government receives the submitted application documents, the Tokyo government official will conduct an interview with the applicant.
Based on the application documents and interview, they will make assessments from the perspective of the applicant’s possibility of attaining the regular “business manager” visa status after the 6-month preparatory period.
4. Examination by the Tokyo Government
What type of business will you be conducting?
Where do you want to open a business?
What kind of preparation and activities will you go through to start your business? Specific plans for the project’s launch.
How much funding is required to start a business? How do you get that funding?
Who will be on the company’s board, and what role will they play?
What scale of the business will be conducted?
Have you secured housing for the period until you start your business?
Do you have enough money to live on?
5. Response by the Tokyo Government
About 2 weeks after application.
Receive a Certificate of Confirmation of start-up Activities. This certificate is valid for 3 months, during which time you can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
6. Apply to the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau for a Certificate of Eligibility for a Business Management visa
Those who have received the Certificate of Confirmation of Business Startup Activities must apply to the Tokyo Immigration Bureau for the Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence for Business Management visa.
You do not have to meet the following requirements for a business management visa at this point.
Established company with a capital of more than $5 million
Secure an office
8. Approval of the 6-month business management visa from the Tokyo Immigration Bureau
9. Landing Japan and start-up 6 months activity
Decide where you want to live. Register as a resident in that municipality.
Open a personal bank account.
Set up a company
Sign a lease agreement for the office.
10. Receive confirmation from the Tokyo Government every two months on start-up activities during the six months.
11. Extension of the period of stay
The six-month business management visa will expire in six months. You need to renew your visa period. You need to meet the following requirements.
A company with a capital of 5 million yen or more has been established.